We recognise that getting the best out of every student is a joint effort between the Academy and home. Many parents ask what they can do to help support their child’s learning. Below are a few suggestions of what you can do to help:
- Check they are organised for school (Exercise books, correct equipment, full school uniform, PE kit, completed homework etc.)
- Make sure they attend school regularly and are on time.
- Set clear boundaries.
- Ensure they have a suitable diet including breakfast, drinks etc…
- Talk with your child about the value of hard work and the importance of education.
- Find out what’s happening at the Academy.
- Attend Parents’ Evenings and discuss your child’s progress with their teachers.
- Ask to see reports and messages that come from school.
- Encourage your child to think about their future.
- Develop schedules and stable routines.
- Allow them to take part in decision-making (and to learn that sometimes this means sacrificing fun now, for benefits later).
- Check the homework timetable for your child.
- If your child has several pieces of work due in on the same day (this should be recorded in their planner), suggest they space the work out rather than leave it all until the night before.
- Plan a balanced life (study, fun, other pressures).